Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm a girl, for goodness sakes!!!

The past week has seen an influx of "Oh, isn't your little boy sweet." And, "Isn't he a cutie!" What?!? When M was smaller, I expected it. People don't pay attention and let's face it, old people just can't see. Last week, the man at the drycleaning place says "You put sparkly sandals on little boy?" and even Maddie's own pediatrician walked into the room and said "He's sure growing. Oh wait, I thought you had a girl. Oops, (looking down at her chart) her name is Madelyn. Sorry."

Then the final straw was on Sunday, when a friend and I (and MMG) went down to the French Quarter for lunch and a little shopping. SIX people called her a boy. The 4th time I snapped. We were cruising past the art vendors around St. Louis Cathedral and a group of 4 or so twenty-something guys said "Look at the little ladybug" and as we got just passed them I overheard one of them say "or lady-boy?" I stopped dead in my tracks and asked "Would you put a ladybug hat on a little boy. I wouldn't. She's a girl!!!" Then, 2 more people commented on his cuteness. Granted, I didn't have in all pink but that doesn't seem to matter. She was wearing a little red pea coat, jeans, ruffly white socks and red patent leather mary janes. On top of that, there was a pink blanket drapped across her lap! Come on people, take 2 seconds, look around, and stop being such idiots!

Do we live in a world that is so fast-paced that people can't take a moment to take in the whole picture before offending me OVER, and OVER, and OVER again?! Or, is it so bad, that I should get her extensions for what I think is the most precious head of fuzzy blonde fluff that has ever graced the head of a toddler?

I realize that while I think she is the most beautiful, cute, and amazing baby that ever lived, others don't always share my opinions (except for Grandma, Grandpa, Nana, G-pop, and Aunt Jenny). I do however hold the delusion that those of you with kids or nieces and nephews that you award top prize to, find my M to be the runner-up in the world's greatest baby contest. Don't correct me if I'm wrong about that, just let me live in my beautiful baby girl wonderland!

2 comments:

Tiffany Wickes said...

Now that post was hilarious. I still get it too. Nolan has long hair and big beautiful eyes people want to say "what beautiful big eyes she has" and I don't reach a breaking point, I quickly say "no, no this is a boy." Most days he is wearing something no parent would put a girl in unless you wanted her to grow up being a bit butch...people suck.

Tripp said...

You have my sympathy...and we know exactly what you're going through. Luckily, Elizabeth's hair is slowly getting longer, but now it just looks like we're too lazy to get the little boy's hair cut...