Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Roughing it...

Our new place on base

Kitchen/dining (please ignore the stuff)


Living room (there will not be curtains hung, most pics will not go up, decorating will be minimal for our brief stay -- SOOOO, ignore all the blank walls and icky metal mini-blinds)

So there are a few things about living on base that I love...
-walking to the playground
-walking to the pool
-J being home 5 minutes after he leaves work
-running my AC without feeling guilty about the bill

But the house is a bit smaller that our old house and offers a few challenges...
-there is no sprayer on the kitchen sink (I thought that would only be an issue in England!)
-the living room is a little tight when G's toys are spread out everywhere
-there are no drawers in the bathrooms (I do not like leaving my toothbrush on the counter)
-the showerhead don't have near the umph that our old one did

I'm sure that at any given moment I could add to these lists. But this biggest issue of all is our dryer. I should actually say "lack of" a dryer. We sold our washer/dryer with our house which was a blessing. They were NOT in good shape and we wanted to get new when we moved anyway. But, I discovered while I was scouting for new ones that the dryers in Las Vegas usually hook up to gas, not electricity. What?!? I'm from the midwest, we rarely do gas anything in our houses! Anyway, this left us with a bit of a conundrum. So, we bought a washer (which I like so far...our clothes are visibly cleaner) but no dryer. We can't get an electric dryer for base housing to use for 5 months (only 4 now!) then buy a gas dryer when we get to Vegas. Bummer. So, I have no dryer. I am hanging all our clothes. It is not only time consuming but you can't do a "quick" load. If I want a certain shirt, I have to allow a whole day for drying time. Its too humid here for a clothesline, plus the last time I dried something outside there was an unfortunate incident. But, even worse than the time it takes is the fact that my clothes are all crusty feeling. Oh, and the towels are even worse! We need to look into renting a dryer for the rest of our time here but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. It is a MUST before Baby 2 makes her appearance because I still remember all the spit-up and blow-outs that caused us to use 3 to 4 (or 5 or 6) outfits every day. Anyway, since we're talking house stuff, I included a few shots of our new digs.




Last but not least, the laundry room with a LONELY washer and a sad little drying rack

1 comment:

Curt and Moe said...

okay, so your little yellow house is cute! plus, even though it's not our "dream house", there are so many goo things about living on base. i don't think i could ever convince curt to do it, because he likes to roll outta there once work is done, but even he can admit to the pluses of living close to so much stuff. just keep filling up your decorating book and know that someday soon you'll be setting up your house that you're staying in FOREVER!!!! PS: i'm totally jealous you're in the final leg of your pregnancy... can't wait to see the latest fogle!!!!!!!!!