Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sewing...

I have always known that I would like to do something that reaults in a finished product.. When I was little my grandma would show us how to crochet (although I never remembered much from one lesson to the next) and I LOVED playing with her antique manual foot pedal machine. Anyway, there has been a tiny bit of sewing here and there in the last few years but now I am in project mode! I have been sewing a diaper bag (although I have nightmares that the first time I actually use it with my newborn and toddler the bottom will fall out and all my stuff will be on the floor of the grocery store!). I am so, so, so close to being finished but ran out of thread. Bummer. It is the first time I have used a pattern (or made a bag for that matter) since 7th grade home-ec and has been quite an experience. More on that project when its finished (and it WILL get finished!).



The other night, J was sitting alert and I needed a project so instead of doing one of the million things that needed to be done, I decided to make a library book bag for G and I to keep all of our library goodies. I used some fabric that I've had for a couple of years and I think it turned out really great. I got the pattern from the Moda Bake Shop, left off most of the pockets, and added a top border to make the bag a little bit bigger. Unfortunately, I wasn't using a charm pack so I had to cut my squares but I did it all in just 3 short hours after G went to bed. I had so much fun and was so pleased with the outcome that we went to the library the very next day just so I could use it! Yay for me!





I'm also working on a Christmas quilt and I want to make these "Flats" as soon as the diaper bag is finished. I'm hoping that this is a hobby that will give me a sense of completion in life and bring enjoyment. If it turns into a chore I will quit. You heard me, I reserve the right to be a quitter! :-)

2 comments:

jj said...

I love your bag and I love the fact that I have been squeezing in some sewing at the same time! I'm working on Matt's 'Grams Picnic Quilt and I'm almost finished! Hooray for us!!

Candie said...

That's "sew" cute. (Haha, you can laugh at my poor attempt at humor.) Seriously though, I love it! Can't wait to see the diaper bag!