Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A new front door

We officially have a new front door. Technically, its on the side but you get what I'm saying, right? We signed a contract for a house! I'm super excited about the house itself. It has four bedrooms and the fourth is HUGEMONGOUS!!! The plan is to use it as a bonus room (pull-out couch for guests, toy room, TV room). It'll take a while to furnish it the way I want but it'll be fun to slowly put it together. I'm a dork and didn't take any pictures but its not finished so they would just look like a hot mess of construction. We're supposed to close October 29 which is great because it means only 2 weeks of hotel stays with the kiddos.

While I'm excited about the actual house (did I mention it has AMAZING views of the mountains AND a partial view of The Strip), I'm nervous about a gazillion things. A few of them being...

1) I don't love the idea of buying another house. We liked our home here in New Orleans but it was nerve-racking to get it ready to sell and hoping that someone would buy it.

2) I'm not too excited about the hubby's commute. I like being on base here and having his drive be so short. When he works a 14 hour day its nice that he's only gone 14 hours and 10 minutes.

3) I'm worried about being lonely. I really wanted to live on base. Our short 5 months in base housing here reminded me how nice it was to have a lot in common with your neighbors. We all have similar incomes, are away from family, and are of similar ages (meaning there are kiddos G and E's ages around for future playdates). And, most people have similar interests. Its hard to explain to people what life is like as a military spouse and it makes me warm and fuzzy to have that instant connection (the same is true for J). Living in a "regular" neighborhood means that your neighbors could be 90 years old or speak another language. Basically, its nice to be near people like us. I'm worried I won't make any friends. Boo hoo to me, I know.

Here's a pic of what it will look like(ish) and the floorplan...





1 comment:

Candie said...

Yay for you!!! I'm already planning a Vegas trip to come see you. Seriously. I've never been to Vegas, so when could it ever be better?!? :O) (And maybe, just maybe, instead of a visit, we'll move out there and live next door. One can dream, right?)